Monday, 30 December 2013

Farewell 2013, it's been amazing!


If someone had said to me a year ago that 2013 would be a fantastic year, I wouldn't have believed them for a second. In truth, I dreaded 2013, and all the uncertainty that came with it. However, as the saying goes "13, unlucky for some," I have realised that it's not the number that matters, but rather what you do with that number.
Now, I find myself feeling somewhat nostalgic towards these past 12 months, and it's with a heavy heart that I will close this chapter on Wednesday.

In honor of this incredible year, I have decided to share some of my favourite memories from 2013.

Seeing The Killers live for the first time There's no greater buzz than seeing your favourite band play live, and it's even better when you've had to wait for it. After four long years, I finally got to see The Killers live in February, in only what can be described as a surreal, yet unforgettable experience. It didn't end there. Between February and November, I watched The Killers play live four times. The feeling of euphoria that these gigs brought is something that cannot be labelled with a pricetag, and while the band's future is now uncertain, I am grateful to have witnessed their musical genius.

Visiting New York For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to visit the bright lights of New York City. That dream was fulfilled in April. My family and I made the trip together to one of America's most exciting cities. We saw Times Square, we passed places where some of my favourite movies have been filmed, we took a horse ride around Central Park, we witnessed the beauty of the city from the top of the Rockerfeller Centre, we shopped until our feet were sore, and we sang along with the cast of Jersey Boys on Broadway. Never in my life have I experienced such a magical trip, and while I don't know if anything will ever match it, I can't wait to set foot in New York again.

Completing my third year of university to reach my final year. To most, this may seem like no great feat, but for someone that has struggled to come to terms with their college course since the very beginning, this was a huge deal for me. However, I suspect that 2014 will be even harder, but if all goes well, I shall have completed an undergraduate dissertation and earned myself a university degree by this time next year.

Turning 21 So, maybe this wasn't the grand spectacle that I thought it would be. I didn't have an expensive party, or suddenly figure out the meaning of life. Do I feel any different? No. Do I like any different? No(that's probably because I don't look nearly 21 to begin with). I did however, get a gorgeous homemade birthday cake from my parents. Not only did it have my name on it, but The Killers were on it too, and that's far more special than any party.

Meeting my new baby cousin There's something about children, and babies in particular that can lighten the mood in a room full of people. To me, children are one of life's most beautiful creations. Their laughter and innocence is infectious, and they never fail to cheer me up when I'm feeling down. My little cousin Luke, born in August, is no exception. I can't wait to watch him grow over the next few months.

Getting shortlisted in Hot Press Magazine This was pretty great. I entered a writing competition to win an internship with Irish magazine Hot Press, and my entry made the shortlist of the final ten in my category. Although I didn't win, the fact that a piece of my writing was recognised as being good, means more to me than any prize. For anyone interested, my entry was a gig review of english muscian Passenger, which can be read here.

Meeting Paul Rudd Alongside books, film is one of my greatest passions. There a few things that I enjoy more than settling on the couch with a good ol' movie, and there a few things more entertaining than a good ol' comedy. Paul Rudd is one of favourite comedy actors. Not conventionally hilarious, but there's something about his cute facial expressions and general silliness that I have always found endearing. After queueing for four hours in the bitter cold, I was lucky enough to meet this man at the Dublin premiere of Anchorman 2. Not only did he take a selfie with me(it's rubbish quality, but it still counts), and sign my hand, but he also tried to warm my hand up because it was freezing. Paul Rudd is a true gent, who deserves every success. I'm excited to see more of him on the big screen in the future!


What a year it's been. I can only hope that 2014 will bring even greater adventures. If not, I'll always have my memories.


Image courtesy of ChristmasStockImages
Video courtesy of Faptuary on Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment